Friday, December 31, 2010

Taboo

I know that talking about money is taboo.  However, I like to talk about numbers.  I don’t mind sharing information about how much Todd and I have in our 401K’s with work, how much we’ve paid off in the past year, how much more we have to go, what I am planning to do with IRA’s for the both of us in the near future, how much we owe on our house, etc.

I don’t understand why money is such a touchy subject.   It is something that is not talked about openly by many.  It is hush-hush about how much a family makes in a year.  Our finances would probably make more sense if you knew how much we made.  A $418 mortgage payment doesn’t sound like a lot, but what if we were making $25,000/year?  That would be A LOT!  That same mortgage payment would seem like nothing based on a $100,000 income, would it not?  I have talked about every other aspect of our finances except our incomes, and that is going to change in the next sentence.  Todd and I make approximately $68,000/year combined (it may be a little higher this year.)  There you have it.  That may be piddly to some, or a lot to others, but it is what it is. We make approximately the same amount, which is odd, because Todd’s hourly wage is $4 less than mine.  However, one week, he works 36 hours, the next he works 48 hours.  That overtime makes our incomes pretty close (within $5,000/year.)

My goal is to learn how to live off of one income.  I would really like for Todd to get out of the place he works.  Also, if we were to have children, I would like to stay home with them. 

So, there you have it.
Everything is out in the open.

1 comment:

  1. Go Meg! I have often thought about just plain out stating our income but I am just not quite comfortable with it at this time! I do typically say that we make less than $xx,xxx which is right around the exact dollar amount but I just cannot say the exact number! Silly things!!

    I hope after you pay off your last debt that you can begin living off of one income...it is the best step to take before having children and staying home with them! We still live off of John David's income and anything I make (which is about $200 a month by transcribing) we use for saving/paying extra principal on house before we moved!

    ReplyDelete