Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Hand-Shake

I am the sole Purchasing Agent for a $12 million dollar computer supplies company in Cleveland, Ohio.  This means I get to meet a lot of people from around the United States and Canada: not only by phone but in person.

I don’t think I’ve ever been as offended as I was today with a Sales Representative for a manufacturer we are going to start buying from.  The gentleman would not shake my hand.  At first, I thought maybe he was a germ-a-phone, but when we went into the conference room, he shook my Manager’s hand (the President of the company.)  I couldn’t believe it!

Immediately, the No Doubt song, “Just A Girl” popped into my head.  I am all for women’s rights and equality of women (naturally.)

I am a professional, and from what I’m told, I am good at what I do.

After the meeting, my Manager came up and asked if the gentleman shook my hand.  I informed my Manager that I was offended, but the gentleman would not shake my hand.  My Manager said, “It’s a good thing!  I think he may have broken a few of the bones in mine!” 

This got me to thinking, maybe this was a blessing in disguise.

What are your thoughts on this?  Am I overreacting?
Would you be offended if you attempted to shake a man’s hand and they refused?

1 comment: