Saturday, October 30, 2010

Surprise For Dinner

I was talking to Todd about dinner options for me to make this weekend.  I led him to believe that we will be having grilled cheese & tomato soup for dinner on Saturday when he gets home from work. 

Even though I was OK with this, I was thinking about something special I could make for him.  Something different.  I make the same things over and over again (spaghetti, chicken parm, chicken fajitas, steak with taters & vegetable, pizza, chicken casserole, potato soup, chili, etc.)

I turned Todd onto sushi when we first met.  One of our favorites is eel and rice (unagi-don).  We have both tried our hand at making our own sushi rolls with not the best of luck.  Unagi-don is a bed of rice with eel over it and eel sauce.We both really like eel sauce, and I finally found a recipe that doesn’t seem too difficult to make!  So, I am going to try.

Unagi Don

Todd bought cans of sardines from Ollies at $0.59/can.  I have decided that instead of going out to purchase eel, I will use the sardines.  I will marinate them in the eel sauce.  I may do the bed of rice with eel, or I may try to make little rolls to eat with chopsticks.  I’m not sure where we got some awesome chopsticks, but we have them in the cupboard (2 sets of them!)  I also have some nori (seaweed) from when I tried to make sushi in the past.

Unagi


So…instead of spending $40 at our favorite sushi restaurant, I will be using up what we have in the house.  You cant beat it!

Todd always says when I cook a nice dinner, “You’ve really outdone yourself this time, honey.”  I have a feeling he will say this at this meal. And I’ll take it!

2 comments:

  1. That's sweet! Hope you enjoy your meal!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Todd enjoyed the meal...and was completely surprised. It turned out really well, if I may say so. He even said, "This would have cost us $50 at Sakura...and we wouldnt have gotten nearly as much!" I told him I wrote nearly exactly that on the blog and he laughed. I think this recipe is a keeper for special occasions. :-)

    ReplyDelete