Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Green Smoothie

A few months ago, I started drinking raw, “green” smoothies.  I read an article online about the benefits of raw food as well as the fact that it can cure and prevent cancer! I was a bit over-the-top about eating raw (who me?  Obsessive? No…)  Let me tell you, it’s not easy!

I enjoy sitting down to eat dinner with my husband every evening.  This is something I did growing up.  We ALWAYS ate dinner together at the table.  No ifs, ands or buts about it.  I am pretty adamant about that for Todd and I as well. 

That being said, it was difficult to drink a smoothie while Todd was eating awesome dinners.  I felt a little neglected.  So now, I drink a smoothie once in a while as a meal replacement. 

What I like about the green smoothies is that I get my fruits/veggies in for the day within 2 meals.  Also, these raw shakes will “clean you out” in no time!  I was doing two a day, and eating dinner with Todd in the evenings.  I had more energy, didn’t feel exhausted at 2:30 every day (as usual), lost quite a bit of weight, and felt great!  It also helped with my cravings for sweets.  However, it was not something I could continue.  It is not the smoothie’s fault, but my own inability to stay motivated.

My smoothies usually are as follows:

1-2 carrots
1 stalk of celery
1 apple
1 banana
water

When a specific fruit was in season, I’d throw a bit of it in there with these items.  Strawberries, blueberries, grapes, watermelon, cantaloupe, kiwi, etc. The sky is the limit! They were so yummy! 

I would like to continue to drink a smoothie at least once a day for the health benefits and to keep my caloric intake down.  The great thing about them is that you can “hide” the vegetables in a sweet smoothie.  They are high in fiber and very filling too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment