Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Chicks are Coming! The Chicks are Coming!


I have been annoying the cashiers at Tractor Supply for over a month asking about when the chicks will be in.  I am so anal about it because this is the first time we have done this.  I have called at least once a week (sometimes twice) for the past month and a half.

On Thursday morning, I called in the morning as I usually do, and was not satisfied with the answer.  The cashiers don’t even CHECK to see if anyone is aware of when the chicks are coming in.  They try to get me off the phone as soon as possible, and that ticks me off.  If they gave me a definite date (or even range,) I wouldn’t be calling them every several days. 

I decided to call again on Thursday evening, and I am so glad I did!  I talked to a guy named Christian.  I asked him questions about the chicks and he said they received an email the day before that the chicks would be in within 5 days, or on Monday, February 28th!  I got an answer out of someone!  I was so happy and excited!  He then went on to tell me the breeds they will have, the cost, and he just kept going on and on about it.  He eased my mind knowing that TSC will have them for 2-3 weeks.  Everyone else made it sound as if they get 50 chicks and once they are gone (that day,) they are done.  NOT THE CASE!  Christian also informed me that we cannot buy only 3.  It is state law that we have to get at least 5 because they are flocking animals.  I am perfectly happy with that; Todd…well, he could do without them altogether.

Christian also opened up telling me that they call him the “chicken guy” at TSC because he owns and raises them himself, so he is very educated about them and the breeds.  I told him I was interested in the Rhode Island Reds, and he stated that they are beautiful birds, but they don’t start laying until their 6th month.  The Golden ??? breed lays within 4 months. 

He was just a wealth of information.
Now…we are just waiting for the chicks to come in! 

BTW: They cost between $2.50 - $3.50/chick.  Assuming they start to lay within 4-6 months, the chicks would pay themselves off within 12 eggs each.  The food is $7.99 for a 25 lb bag.  How much of a 25 lb bag can 5 chickens eat?  Not that much.  So, to everyone who says that it is more expensive to raise chickens, I think they may be wrong.  But…I guess we’ll find out first-hand!  I am going to keep track of everything and will report in to let everyone know about the costs of raising these chickens. 

So far, our expenses have been: $8.51 for chick food.

1 comment:

  1. RIR chickens are one of the best breeds for being hardy. Mine lived on top of a Rubbermaid box when it was 8 degrees outdoors. There was only a tarp over their heads. Chickens do not mind the cold. Don't get a "lively" breed. RIR is rather docile. You don't want feisty hens. Mine are feisty enough. How soon they lay was the last of my worries. Since I don't buy food, I have less cost involved in food. Chickens do like company. I only have three right now and started with ten. But, as chicks, they probably will fare best with more in the box.I am excited for you.

    ReplyDelete