Saturday, October 9, 2010

Movie: FrontLine: Sick Around America

Last weekend, I watched Frontline: Sick Around America on Netflix (originally aired on PBS.)  Wow.  I knew the healthcare industry was corrupt, but oh my goodness. 

I am an entrepreneur at heart.  I've always wanted to start my own business, and we currently have one in the works as we speak and I have another idea for a business jumping around in my head as I type this.  That being said, we will never be able to get private healthcare insurance.  Not because of Todd, but because of me.

It brought me to tears to learn about a girl who is my age that died of lupus because she couldnt get insurance from the private sector and couldnt afford to pay for the medications on her own (nor could her family.)  So, she died.  She passed away with over $900,000 in medical bills.

For me, I would not be able to recieve private healthcare coverage because of a stroke I had in 2005 at the age of 24 (they state the reason was from birth control.)  I have been on blood pressure medicine ever since.  Then, in 2009, I got H1N1 and was in ICU for 10 days and in a regular room for 7.  The stroke was over $24,000.  H1N1 was over $160,000 and still going up due to the doctors visits I continue to have a year later.  In 2001, I was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia for 2 days which was over $9,000 in medical costs.  I am a health-care nightmare.

I also watched Michael Moore's "Sicko" several years ago and I was enraged.

So, even if Todd and I get these business' off the ground, one of us will always have to work to maintain healthcare that we can rely on.

Am I the only one this bothers?

No comments:

Post a Comment