Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Derek

I’m sure everyone is sick of hearing about my brother who is in the Marines, but this is another post about him.  If you’re sick of hearing about him, please feel free to close the web browser. I gave you a heads up.

The poor kid (yes, he is still a kid in my eyes - a 25 year old kid, to be exact.) is in Afghanistan for yet another holiday season, and I HATE IT!  Since he has been in the military, we have missed quite a few birthdays, Thanksgivings and Christmas’ together.  Even though my brother and I don’t talk every day or even when we do, it’s nothing of importance, I love the kid to death. 

I spoke to him for the first time since he was deployed to Afghanistan a few weekends ago.  It is like pulling teeth talking to him.  He says all he does over there is work.  He works 12+ hours a day with not much down-time.  Apparently, the base over there is not like bases he’s been to in the past with a Subway or McD’s.  I guess that’s probably because we are AT WAR!

When I talked to him, he was telling me about how people go from one base to the other to do jobs, and that is how people are getting blown up.  There are bombs that explode on the roadways from one base to the other.  He talked about it so candidly.  He was saying that it is pretty much a way of life over there.  He was oblivious to it.  And then I thought about how LITTLE we hear about it here in the states!  How many families are without their sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, sisters or brothers this year?!?

Our family is not political at all.  We are still at a loss as to why Derek joined the Marine Corps.  He had such a promising welding career here in the states lined up for him after high school.  He VOLUNTEERED to go to Iraq a couple of years ago as well as Afghanistan!

Since Derek has joined the military over 6 years ago, I have become a bit emotional.  The first Christmas without him was rough.  The 4th of July parades absolutely kill me when I see the soldiers marching with the flag.  Luckily, Derek has been home and at our house for the past two 4th of July BBQ’s that we have for our family. There is nothing better when he is home. 

I miss him and I don’t know what I’d do without him.  I pray that ALL of our troops will be coming home soon.

1 comment: