Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Another Year Older

This past weekend, I turned the big 3-0.  I still feel like I’m 18 many times.  There are alo of times when I see someone and I think they are “my age,” and then I find out they are 24!  I wonder if those who are 24 see me as their age or 30 (or older!)

I am bummed that I’m not a svelt and super-healthy 30, but I have to work on that.  That is no one’s fault but my own.

I cant believe:
15 years ago, I was learning how to drive.
12 years ago, I graduated from High School.
9 years ago, I graduated from College.
4 years ago, I got married.
1 1/2 years ago, I nearly lost my life.

I never would have thought:
I would be married to a great man (who can put up with me!)
I wouldn’t have children yet (adoption)
I would have a mini-farm!

I was talking to some of my co-workers about how I feel that 1/3 of my life is over.  People thought I was being negative when I said this, but quite the contrary.  I still have so many great years to go!  While in the hospital in 2009 with H1N1 and coming out of the coma, I decided that I’d live life to the fullest and ENJOY everything I could.  I believe I have done just that.  If I were to die tomorrow, I am perfectly content with the way my life turned out and everything I experienced, good and bad.

I have just one surviving grandparent, my father’s mother.  She is 80 and I see how lively she is.  I really attribute that to how active she is, how much she reads, and her love of education.  She was a teacher way back when and was hit by a drunk driver when my father was a child.  It crushed my grandmother’s skull and she had to re-learn how to walk, talk, and do everything.  This woman is NOT a vegetarian, nor is she necessarily thin.  I’ve never seen her diet or exercise a day in her life (go grandma!)  The only other medical issue she’s had was this year having breast cancer (which is currently in remission.)

I want to be just like my grandmother when I get older.  I want to be as active, fun, loving, and bright as she is.   I want to get and stay healthy, learn as much as I can, enjoy the love of my life and my family, possibly have children, and keep up with the “farm.”  If God sees fit, that may be for another 60-100 more years.

Age is just a number.  I want to LIVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment