Thursday, October 14, 2010

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

I think that most of us know that this month is breast cancer awareness month.  I had a co-worker that passed away from cancer a few years ago.  We worked together while she was going through the treatments, and then she was in remission, she decided to move to Florida and start a new career.  The cancer came back after approximately 3 years and she passed away.  She was in her mid 50’s.

This past weekend, I found out that my grandmother has breast cancer.  I knew she found a lump on her breast, and I knew she had an appointment several weeks ago to get them removed.  I hadn’t heard anything since.  Come to find out, when they went in, they ended up taking out 20+  lymphnodes and 3 of them were cancerous.  She has an appointment today to see what options she has for treatment.

This is something that I think has unfortunately hit many families.  I beg that everyone do a self-examination and get their mammograms on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment